The Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) is a professional-level Kabaddi league in India. It has been a platform for players to showcase their talent and has gained immense popularity over the years. Here is a detailed list of the winners of the PKL from its inception in 2014 till 2023.
2014: Jaipur Pink Panthers
The inaugural season of the PKL was won by the Jaipur Pink Panthers. They defeated U Mumba in the final with a score of 35-24.
2015: U Mumba
The second season saw U Mumba clinching the title by defeating the Bengaluru Bulls with a score of 36-30.
2016: Patna Pirates
Patna Pirates emerged as the champions in both seasons of 2016. In the first season, they defeated U Mumba with a score of 31-28. In the second season, they beat the Jaipur Pink Panthers with a score of 37-29.
2017: Patna Pirates
Patna Pirates continued their winning streak by securing the title for the third consecutive time in 2017.
2018: Bengaluru Bulls
In 2018, the Bengaluru Bulls won the PKL title by defeating the Gujarat Giants.
2019: Bengal Warriors
The Bengal Warriors won their first PKL championship in 2019 by defeating Dabang Delhi K.C. with a score of 39-34.
2021-2022: Dabang Delhi K.C.
Dabang Delhi K.C. clinched their maiden PKL trophy in the 2021-2022 season by beating Patna Pirates with a score of 37-36.
2023: Who Win Next?
Yet to win.
Who Is The Most Successful Team in PKL?
The Patna Pirates are the most successful team in the Pro Kabaddi League (PKL). They have won the championship three times, all consecutively in 2016 and 2017. This is the highest number of titles won by any team in the league’s history. Their consistent performance has made them a formidable team in the PKL.
The PKL has seen a total of six champions over eight seasons, with Patna Pirates being the only team to win the title more than once. Each season has brought forth new talent and thrilling matches, making the PKL a much-anticipated event in the world of Kabaddi.
How Many Teams Participate in PKL?
The Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) features 12 teams that compete every season. This league has been a significant platform for showcasing Kabaddi talent in India.
Who Are Some Famous Kabaddi Players in India?
Here are some of the famous Kabaddi players in India:
- Manjeet Chhillar: A former professional kabaddi player and current assistant coach of Telugu Titans. He is widely regarded as one of the best all-rounders and defenders in kabaddi history.
- Anup Kumar: A retired professional kabaddi player who has been a part of the Indian Kabaddi Team and achieved Asian gold medals in the years 2010 and 2014, a South Asian gold medal in 2016, and also the Kabaddi World Cup in the same year.
- Nitin Tomar: Known for his exceptional raiding skills and accomplishments. He made his Pro Kabaddi League debut in 2015 representing teams like Bengal Warriors, UP Yoddha, and Puneri Paltan.
- Pardeep Narwal: He is considered one of the top Kabaddi players in India and abroad.
- Fazel Atrachali: He is among the most famous kabaddi professionals.
These players have made significant contributions to the sport and have helped in popularizing Kabaddi in India and abroad.
PKL (Pro Kabaddi League) Format
The Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) follows a double round-robin format. Here’s a detailed breakdown of the format:
- League Phase: All 12 teams play each other twice, amounting to 22 matches each. This forms a single league phase.
- Playoffs: The top 6 teams from the league phase qualify for the playoffs. The top 2 teams go directly into the semifinal. Teams ranked 3-6 play one-match eliminators where the winner moves to the semifinal.
This format ensures a fair and competitive platform for all teams and provides an exciting and engaging experience for the fans. It’s worth noting that the PKL briefly experimented with a zonal format in its fifth and sixth seasons, but returned to its regular double round-robin format from the 2019 season.